December 20, 2007

Yearning for Simpler Times




This time every year I have a serious nostalgic breakdown. I was born in 1972. When I was 5 it was completely acceptable for my mother to give me a quarter to go to the local "Bar" to get a yoohoo. No one gave a second look at a kid playing pinball in the bar and more than once a stranger bought me a yoohoo. I loved Bob Seger's "katmandu." I was 5 and I knew all the words. I was a rocker, an under 7, bar fly, with a 2 yoohoo a day habit, rocker.
There was a quality about my grandparents and their generation that I always appreciated. They had seen hard times so they smiled very easily, and were happy to share what they had, but mostly they were hard working. I spent most of my time with their generation. Grandpa liked his beer after work. Grandparents played a vital part of all of my friends lives. Grandpa would give me a few dollars and tell me to run to the store. Down to the little convenient store I would go. He always told me to get myself a candy bar. I would grab a six pack, his favorite being "Pabst blue ribbon" put it on the checkout counter and pay for it. I don't think they ever asked me a question, they just rang it up and off I went. Like I said I was 6 or 7 so the year was 78-79. I pretty much went where I wanted and did what I wanted and no one really messed with me. If I did something stupid, they were waiting on me when I got home, anyone could call and tell on me during this time and it was encouraged. Try calling your neighbors now and telling them little Johnny broke your window, good luck.
I had a bow and arrow, BB gun, Yard Garts, and many implements that could have killed myself or someone else. Once Grandpa decided I was ready I drove almost any vehicle that he had, tractors, boats, trucks whatever he needed me to drive, and again no one said anything. The fact I am here talking about it means that no one was hurt. Television wasn't a very big part of anyone's day except during the holidays. Every holiday they would advertise Frosty or Rudolph and I was beyond excited. At Christmas time, "Frosty the Snowman (69)and Rudolph the red nosed reindeer(64)" reigned supreme. I didn't know they were made while the country was in turmoil, at war. Much like the war we are in now. It makes me happy that they still play these holiday favorites for kids today or maybe they are playing it for my generation, who knows?

My life today. Today I am actually considering paying over $1200 a year to have unlimited access to email, messages, and the Internet via the apple iPhone (which will cost me another $400). (lost my mind?) Yet I miss the simple things. My mind is swimming with some very scary stuff. We are ruining the planet, no bullshit, we are ruining it, the future of this planet hangs in the balance and right now I am concerned with having an iPhone and am ticked off about gas prices. We are in a war we cannot win, people are losing their lives daily and I am upset when my internet connection goes down. Right now there are kids who do not know their grandparents. I miss my grandparents immensely, I imagine many of you do to. What would they think of the world today?

No comments: