December 13, 2007

Bear



Only those who have lost a loved one will understand this. Bear was my own personal baby. Everyone loved him, I had people ask me if I would sell him. When we found an ad for a rottweiler/husky mix I had no idea what we would see when we went to look at him. When we arrived he and his sister were in a pen under the back deck. Bear was just kind of chilling in the back of the pen and kind of looking at us. I instantly loved the energy of his sister, but S said no that is not your dog, you want the one chilling out. I gave in to S's thoughts and we took Bear. The owner delivered Bear to us in a waffle house parking lot. He was in the back of a truck under a camper shell with a bunch of deer bones, smelling like you can imagine. He didn't want to come out but finally the man cohersed him out and he was ours. Whew, he was ripe so we took him home and I left him with S while I went and got puppy shampoo and food. When I got back he was hiding from S under the sink in the bathroom. He was scared to go through a doorway for the first 6 months of his life. He would whine at night when we were in bed, so I wasn't going to let a dog that was going to be as large as him sleep with us, so down on the floor I went. It was a bad case of love, I loved this dog. He was gentle, rambunctious, kind, sometimes he even looked thoughtful, and he loved the family. "Bear" Our friends, family and just acquaintances would ask "How is Bear?" Every year usually close to hunting season some gentleman would ask me if I would part with him? Not in a million years would I ever consider it. Bear lived with us In Tennessee, Florida, and Illinois. He lived 11 years I believe and it was a wonderful 11 years. He and J became playmates when J moved back in with us. They would play and wrestle. J would practice his Karate on Bear. Bear never knew what to make of it but he was always up for some playing. But most of the time Bear was "laid back" much like me as you found out in my past posts. I lost Bear last year it was the hardest thing I have ever done. It is one thing when someone passes away from sickness but all together different when you have to make the choice to let them go. S and I were right there next to him when he left this world. S, N and I were right next to J when he left this world. I will consider myself lucky if there is anyone next to me when I leave this world. It was today 2 years ago J left us, I like to think they are still wrestling and waiting for us.