February 24, 2008

The 13th Annual NE Florida Scottish games and festival

There was a Large crowd on hand for the event



It was a pretty unique event; the venue and the location were both interesting. The parking area was filling up quickly when we pulled into the last row and the cars were coming in steadily behind us. It looked as if rain may damper the festivities but the clouds blew off and we had a wonderful breeze for the event. There were a multitude of things to look at and enjoy but the best attraction at the event were the event attendees.
The venue was a cross between a 4-H convention and a bull-riding contest. The smells were purely country and it had been so long since I had experienced them that my olfactory nerves reacted with extreme prejudice. Once I was past that I was very excited to see everything the event had to offer. It was $12 at the gate to enter; we decided it was worth it. Heck we drove all the way out there so there was no turning back now.

The women got in on the action also



The amount of people dressed in the costumes of the day impressed us very much. We weren’t sure given the location that there would be many people dressing the part. As the pictures show there were plenty.

I think someone got their kilt in the wrong department



The people were all very friendly and jovial. At one point during the caber tossing event a fully dressed Scotsman remarked to me he thought lightning might shoot out his ar$e. The one thing that drew me to the event was the hopes of a fine pint but to no avail. I am not sure how a festival like this is thrown without the inclusion of Guinness. This was the only letdown of the trip other than that what a wonderful Saturday it was.


bagpipes are just plain cool....


The surprise of the day was S had a sweet tooth and purchased strawberry shortcake dessert. (I had no idea strawberry shortcake was in any way connected with the Scottish heritage) It was outstanding whoa man it was good.

"Go back to England and tell them there that Scotland's daughters and sons are yours no more"


My only regret is I didn't get a "McLovin" t-shirt to wear to the event maybe for the irish festival.

1 comment:

barefootnikki said...

No pints? WTH? Meh, looks like fun anyway.
I <3 kilts.